Monday, October 13, 2014

4 Months Post-Injury

My blog has sort of fallen by the wayside since I got injured, and to be honest, I'm not sorry about that. I still love blogging and I still love reading blogs, but my life is crazy and amazing right now, and I'm just focusing on living. I know I don't know anyone an explanation, but that's where I've been lately!

It's currently October, and it's been four months since I started running "consistently" again. I use consistently as a loose term, because I'm nowhere near the level of commitment I was before injury/during injury. We're lucky if I run three times a week now. Before, I was running five days a week, cross-training three days (because I was pulling doubles on two days), and resting one - two days.

Old training schedule for Princess this past year

My running has definitely suffered because of this lack of commitment. Surprisingly, I still have the mindset and the lung capacity to do "longer" distances, even though I was out for so long and haven't been the best runner I could be. Last Tuesday, I ran six miles, non-stop. However, it was slow for me.


When I was still running on my injured hamstring, I posted a sub-60 10k. That was phenomenal for me and gave me hopes of running a sub-2 half marathon. With the half marathon at the school coming up at the end of November (assuming I have the date right and will actually run it), there's no way I will reach a sub-2 for this half. In fact, it might be the slowest half marathon I have run to date.


I'm trying not to be too hard on myself, because I am the reason why I'm not running to the levels I was running before. I haven't been committed. I have barely done cross-training (I've done yoga a few times, a run-swim once, and that's it). I haven't done any strength training. I'm not the athlete I was 4 months ago.


I have talked about recommitment here a few times, but I haven't really done it. I'm trying, I'm developing my motivation, and I hope to be there again, someday. Right now, I'm just taking it a day at a time. I'll get back there...eventually.

Have you ever had a hard time coming back from injury? What are your suggestions for getting back to where I was before I was injured?